On TV, heroes land planes on rivers, turn the tide of battles, or rescue kittens from a tree--but it always seems that these heroes are unreachable people in distant places. But in reality, heroes are ordinary people who engage in extraordinary heroes all around us and explore the
steps that lead us to the hero within.
steps that lead us to the hero within.
6. Closer than a Brother
OCTOBER 17--Most of us know people. We may have even found our very own place where others know our name. In an age overflowing with facebooks, tweets, texts, emails, cell phones, and social networks, we are growing in loneliness. While we are ever more "in touch," we are at the same time ever more isolated. What are we missing? How can we find those true friends who fill a spot in our life in a way that is deep, fulfilling, and life altering? Where is the friend who is closer than a brother?
- Can you identify a time in your life when you had a truly intimate friend? How did that relationship impact your life?
- Which of the five traits of a transformational relationship are you initiating into the life of someone else?
- Which of the five traits of a transformational relationship are present in your friendships? Which are missing?
- What will you do this week to take a step toward being a better friend to someone else?
5. Actions and Truth
OCTOBER 10--Do you ever long for a more tangible experience of God? Do you long to really know God? For many of us, while we long for something real and authentic, we find ourselves engaged in an aggressive but empty lifecycle of unfulfilled religion. But when our heart and God's begin to beat in harmony, then we move from religion and into the presence--and the glory--of the great God we long to find!
- Describe some ways you have attempted to manipulate God by your actions. What was motivating your behavior?
- What are some of the ways you are able to uncover the condition of your heart toward God?
- What are some ways you have missed an opportunity to demonstrate compassion in the last month? What are some ways
- you acted with compassion in the past month?
- Does your life bring out a demonstration of the goodness and glory of God?
4. My Mess, His Message
OCTOBER 3--The last thing Satan wants is for you to share how God has moved in your life. Your story of what God has done in middle of your mess is one of the most valuable and powerful things you have. It can change lives. Why are we so often afraid to share it? Listen and find out more.
- What amazing things has God done in your life?
- How has the devil tried to keep you silent?
- How will you turn your mess into His message?
3. take Action
SEPTEMBER 26--We all have opportunities in which we "could have..." "would have..." or "should have...," but a hero is just an everyday person who sees an opportunity and takes action! It's as simple as that.
- What has God been drawing your attention to or been putting on your heart lately?
- What is your most common reason for not taking action? What are you going to do about that?
2. Never Give Up!
SEPTEMBER 19--On the journey of life, most of us would prefer if we could take a ride down Easy Street rather than battling a rough, pothole-infested cow path! The fact is, heroes are rarely found on the easy, broad street. In fact, sometimes, maybe even often, the destinations in life that we are called to visit are not serviced by those comfortable roads. True heroes will often find themselves moving down the road less travelled, persevering through many obstacles on the way to their moments of heroism
- To what degree is your life shaped by trying to stay on Easy Street?
- Where is your confidence placed? How do you know?
- Would you rather be transformed or comfortably conformed to the world around you? How do you know?
- What are some ways you are allowing the soil of your heart to be prepared for effectiveness?
1. Can I Find a Hero?
SEPTEMBER 12--When your life has settled into a numbing routine and someone whisks in and changes all the darkness into hope and possibility, you have been saved by a hero. Most heroes never put on a cape or tights, they don't have super duper x-ray vision, they may not have any super powers at all. They are just ordinary people who allow the extraordinary power of God to step out and make a difference
- What would cause you to give up hope of being someone’s hero?
- How has your time with Jesus changed you?
- Which of the traits of a hero are most true of your life? Least true?
- Who are some of your heroes? Have you told them?