We all want our Christmas to be full of a lot of things. Joy. Memories. Happiness. Above all, we want it to be about Jesus. What we don't want is stress. Or debt. Or feeling like we "missed the moment." Advent Conspiracy is a movement designed to help us all slow down and experience a Christmas worth remembering. But doing this means doing things a little differently. A little creatively.
4. Love All
DEC 23--If we really lean into the meaning of love, we understand that it is a costly endeavor. While costly, it is not so bad to love those who love us back, but God wants us to experience the full love He has for us. He wants us to know what it is like to love all!
- What will you do to make certain that love is what your friends and family remember about this Christmas season?
- Who is a disagreeable person in your life toward whom you could demonstrate love?
- How would God have you love the least this year?
3. Give More
DEC 16--In the midst of the busyness of the Christmas season, it's easy to forget that it all started because of a gift. And it's because of that gift, Christ coming into this world as a baby, that we now have the joy and opportunity to celebrate this great season. Yet often we live our lives in such a way that it makes it nearly impossible to give more. How might we change that?
- What's one of the best gifts you ever received and why?
- Who is one person right now that might need the gift of your presence?
- What is one area of your life in which you could give less?
- Do you see any rule-based giving in your life? How could that change?
2. Spend Less
DEC 9--Every year Americans spend $450 BILLION on Christmas. That is a lot of money when you consider that the UN estimates that they could alleviate world huger for a year with just $30 billion. Shoot, we could end world hunger and still have a pretty good time here in America! What is it that causes us to spend so much? Is there anything we can do to keep the heart, meaning, and joy of Christmas AND spend less?
- What would it look like for you to stop out-of-control spending?
- This Christmas, what are you and your family focusing on? Spending on?
- How will you spend less this Christmas?
1. Worship Fully
DEC 2--Christmas marks the moment where God's promise was fulfilled and love took form, tiny fingers and all. It is a moment that deserves our full attention and praise. We put Worship Fully as Advent Conspiracy's first tenet because we believe the level of our involvement at Christmas is based entirely on how much we are celebrating Christ's birth. He deserves celebration; one that is creative, loud and directs every heart His way.
- Besides God, what things are you tempted to worship?
- Do you worship God fully, partially, or hardly at all? How do you know?
- What are some specific ways you want to focus on reorienting your worship this advent season?